- 3D Scan to SVG to Plotter (by way of Blender)
- Reverse engineering the 76477 “Space Invaders” sound effect chip
- A collection of resources for making Awesome Generative Art
- American energy use in one diagram
- Video from 27c3: Reverse Engineering the 6502
- Helping one million developers exit Vim
- Dirty Decapping: A low-cost chip decapping service
- Testing a “Giger counter”
- Bread tag taxonomy: The Holotypic Occlupanid Research Group
We’ve been working on the MOnSter 6502 project for quite some time. We first introduced it last year, and since then we have brought it up to the stage of successfully running programs in assembly, BASIC, and Forth. We have taken this opportunity before Maker Faire to put together an introductory video for the project.
- Chronophotographs Capture Birds in Flight
- Watch 118 Bird Species Migrate Across a Map of the Western Hemisphere
- A Lizard With Scales That Behave Like a Computer Simulation
- Original Macintosh Lode Runner, in your browser
- Laser drawing stroboscopic patterns on an egg covered in photochromic paint (youtube)
- Conway’s game of life, emulated in Conway’s game of life
- Video game archaeologists exist
- “How Nature Documentaries Are Fake” A useful take on storytelling in documentaries.
- An epic teardown of the Juicero press
The second annual Robot Art contest Is in its final lap:
The Robot Art 2017 competition will be running between now and May 15th when more than $100,000 in awards will be given to the top painting robots. Winners will be determined based on a combination of public voting, professional judges consisting of working artists, critics, and technologists, and by how well the team met the spirit of the competition – that is to create something beautiful using a physical brush and robotics.
You can help by voting on the artwork now!
Dave wrote in about the EggBot:
My daughter wanted to tell you that she loves your creation. The other day she told me that she is more sciencey than girly, and I told her that she could be both. I have attached a picture of her with her first multi color print, Wonder Woman.
Thank you for sharing, and the egg turned out great!
- morejpeg: Another microservice that you didn’t know you needed
- The Backyard Scientist: Pouring Molten salt into Water (YouTube)
- Did Voyager 1 capture an image of Enceladus’ plumes erupting?
- If the moon were one pixel
- Digital Clock in Conway’s Game of Life
- Make your own landed Falcon 9 model
- A Vector Field Playground
- Using a CNC mill to open a case of beer.
- 74181 ALU chip: how it works and why it’s so strange
- Classic Game Postmortem: Oregon Trail (YouTube)
- Original songs sampled by Daft Punk
- Scientific studies suggest that cats are nice.
- Boris Karloff’s Guacamole Recipe
- Can you fake a TV Remote control with paper and a lighter? Probably not.
- EL wire Nixie Tube
- CatterPlots: Scatter plots, with cats as points
- Convert Inkscape SVG drawings to KiCad footprints
- Double pendulum with UV LED & GITD backdrop (Youtube)
- The Rotating Hallway Scene from 2001, stabilized
- A review of science books for kids, on pages 4-5 of the Reno News & Review Family Guide 2017 including The Annotated Build It Yourself Science Laboratory
- What’s in that Subway Oven Roasted Chicken Sandwich?