I’m sorry to hear about the trouble. It actually is critical to make sure that no pins or leads whatsoever are touching– we call those “short circuits” and as you can probably imagine, they can cause a lot of trouble. In many cases, just having two leads touching can prevent part or all of the circuit for not working. If you know that any pins are connected, stop immediately and physically remove the batteries from the battery pack before proceeding to fix the issue. Applying power when you have a short circuit can cause the batteries to overheat, and it can damage parts of your circuit– so be sure that you don’t have any accidental connections before applying power again.