Basic 17 segment LED functionality

Home Evil Mad Scientist Forums Clock Kits Basic 17 segment LED functionality

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    EG
    Participant

I ordered a couple of the 17 (18) segment LEDs for a little project. This is all old-school: big ass switches on a big enclosure to be used as a toy for kids. I have ordered plenty of other LED chips: 7 segment and 14 segments and other 17 segments. In all cases, the documentation from the manufacturers has been very poor, but I was always able to figure out how to get things up and running by putting the chips on a breadboard, hooking up a power source and a resistor, and trying all possible pin combination until I had decoded the chip.

Not so with these big 17 segment LEDs. The only 2 segments I can get to light up are the dots. What’s going on? Can anyone offer some pointers here? Is it possible that my power source is too weak or my resistor too strong to allow illumination in any of the other segments? I’m so hesitant to dial that up because I have fried a lot of LEDs through experimentation and bad soldering, but at this point these beautiful LEDs remain unusable.

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

Which color display are you using, and how much voltage and current are you applying to each of the different segment types?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.