Bitmap Trace

Home Evil Mad Scientist Forums AxiDraw Bitmap Trace

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BLyons
    Participant

I have a line art bitmap image from Affinity Photo exported as a svg file. It opens and imports into Inkscape and appears fine in Normal Display Mode but I can’t trace it to convert to a vector format. Once I switch the Display Mode to Outline the image is only a box with an “X” in it. Inkscape responds with “select an image to trace.” Is the screen image of the file the only part that is being exported?

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

If it’s a bitmap image (as opposed to line art), try importing into Inkscape as a bitmap, rather than as an SVG.

BLyons
    Participant

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! The image is a line drawing (sorry for the confusion) saved as a greyscale image. I have tried png, jpeg, tiff, pdf, svg, & eps all with similar results.

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

Hard to judge exactly what is going on, without seeing the file and asking quite a few more questions.

However, I’d recommend bringing it over as a PNG, using File > Import. I’d suggest using the “embed” rather than “link” import option. Make sure that you have the image selected, and make sure that it says (in the lower status bar — where it will display the “select an image” text) “image” for object type, rather than something else like “group.” If it says “group”, ungroup it before tracing.

BLyons
    Participant

Got it! Not sure what was different but followed your instructions and it works. Guess it needed the master’s touch! Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.