Controller

Home Evil Mad Scientist Forums AxiDraw Controller

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Ethan.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MattN
    Participant

I am running my SE/A3 off a Macbook Pro to write thankyou cards for my small business. I am liking it so much that I want to order a second machine to get through large batches a little quicker. I’m not overly skilled with tech even though I haven’t had too many problems following the directions and using inkscape to do what I need. I’m wondering what simple and less expensive options I have for controlling a second axidraw? I assume I’ll create the plotter and .csv files on my Macbook and just separate the .csv into a second half for the second machine to work on. Thanks for a great product and support. I love the coreless servo upgrade!

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

It sounds like you’re using AxiDraw Merge. AxiDraw Merge currently only supports controlling a single AxiDraw at a time. (That said, some people have apparently been able to run multiple copies of Inkscape 1.1 in order to control multiple AxiDraw machines from one computer using AxiDraw Merge.)

As far as splitting the CSV file goes, that really isn’t necessary. You can use the same template file and CSV file, and select different page (row) ranges for each.

MattN
    Participant

Yes using Merge, I was wondering what suggestions you all have for the simplest/most affordable type of second computer I could buy since I’ll only need it to run Axidraw Merge. I could see even adding a third Axidraw in the future so I’d like to have some kind of scalability in adding new machines and computers.

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

The computer should be able to run a reasonably modern version of macOS, Windows, or Linux, but doesn’t otherwise need particularly good specs.

A used mac can work quite well, but does need to be new enough to run Inkscape 1.2.

There are plenty of cheap windows machines out there, including low-end mini-computers. Here are a couple of examples of types that seem to be available now and would likely work fine (once you add a keyboard, mouse, and compatible monitor):
    Link1
    Link2

There are similarly priced Windows laptops as well.

If you’re comfortable using it, a low-end linux computer like a Raspberry Pi can work as well.

Ethan
    Participant

Are you using some kind of auto feeding machine?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.