Daughterboard for Peggy 2

Home Evil Mad Scientist Forums LED Matrix Kits Daughterboard for Peggy 2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    phil
    Participant

I’ve been looking around for the best solution to add a daughterboard to address a couple of things (mainly prototyping space along with the need for both serial and i2c) and found that the EMS proto boards http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/tinykitlist/74-atmegaxx8 may be my best bet.  The pros being they make short work of adding a 2nd 328 and give me a little more room to expand, the con is that they are just short (literally) of being a perfect fit.  Two mounting holes on one side of the board align perfectly with the holes in the Peggy battery box area so I could mount it with two spacers securely fastened to the board and two ‘floating’ to stabilize it.  If there were a larger proto board lined up with the outer 4 holes of the battery box area, using the extra board area for more prototyping space that would be perfect.  An idea for a future Peggy revision: why not add additional prototyping space within the battery box area for those not using the battery box?  For those using the battery box, it would just be covered up.

I just wanted to pass this idea along and see if anyone else had suggestions for adding a daughterboard to the Peggy…
    Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

We have actually strapped an ‘XX8 board into the battery compartment area, which (we thought) worked surprisingly well:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/3287679666/ 

(This was part of the “old school” TWI method of getting video onto the Peggy:
    Adding proper mounting points for one of those isn’t a bad idea….
    phil
    Participant

Ha! So this has already been done.  I hadn’t even thought about using zip ties.  That could work and there are some nice black ones in the kit.  If a future board rev helped in any way make the battery box space more easily usable for prototyping/daughterboards I’m sure some folks would greatly appreciate it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.