Firmware Update Help

Home Evil Mad Scientist Forums AxiDraw Firmware Update Help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hb
    Participant

Hello,

I am attempting to update to firmware 2.7.0 on the Axidraw, but received this error message: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EjL5YZh5BbvuZmHj9

I can’t figure out what I am doing incorrectly as I’ve followed the directions for the Windows updater. I don’t particularly have the knowledge to be able to perform the manual update (I’m still a bit of a beginner). I updated the software to 2.7.0 today without any issue. I am currently running firmware version 2.6.0 since I experienced this same issue when trying to updated to firmware v 2.6.5 a few weeks ago.

Thank you for your help!
    Hannah

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

I’m afraid that I don’t understand the situation here.

It sounds like you had an error when trying to update to 2.7.0, but it also sounds like you successfully updated to 2.7.0, but then it also sounds (again) like you are running 2.6.0.

Can you please clarify the situation?

hb
    Participant

Apologies for the confusion. I successfully updated the software but am having trouble updating the firmware for the Axidraw. The attached error message above is what I receive when attempting to update the firmware from 2.6.0 to 2.7.0.

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

Is there any chance that you tried to run the updater program “within” the ZIP download, without unzipping it first?

hb
    Participant

No, I extracted the file and have followed the directions to open and run it. I have made sure to unplug and plug all cords back in. I have also attached the most recent update I received, as now it is different than the photo I previously attached.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C7ec2evUwXZePQcm6

It looks like the update can’t even read that the Axidraw is plugged in now. When I go through Inkscape, it has no problem reading the Axidraw. By the way, I have made sure to close all programs that could communicate with the Axidraw during the update.

EmbeddedMan
    Participant

Hi Hannah. I’m the author of the EBB firmware updater, and Windell asked me to come see if I had any ideas on how to help you get past this error message.

My first guess is based on the first error message you posted. The EBB updater .exe file is actually a self-extracting archive of several different files. When you run it, it extracts all of the separate files, and then starts running the update process. One of the files it contains is the actual EBB firmware .hex file. The error message you are getting makes it seem like that file is not getting extracted properly, or is not being allowed to stick around for some reason. When the update process finds your EBB (AxiDraw) and tries to update it, there isn’t a .hex file for it to use and so you get the error message.

I’ve never seen that happen before, but I have some ideas on things we can try to fix it for you.

First off : What is the exact file name you are double clicking on? Is it EBBUpgraderGUI_v270.exe?

When you double click on that file to run it, where exactly is it located? Is it on your desktop, or in a folder on your computer somewhere?

Answers to those questions will let me know what direction to head next.

Thanks-
    *Brian

EmbeddedMan
    Participant

Hannah, one thing you might try is to use the non-zipped form of the updater. If you click the following link you will get the .exe version of the installer, so there’s no need to unzip it.

https://evilmadscience.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/dl/eb/public/EBBUpgraderGUI_v270.exe

Download that one, and give it a try, and see if it helps your issue any.

Another thing to try would be to download the above .exe version, and then move it to a different folder (out of your Downloads folder) – say to the root of your C:\ drive. Then try running it from there to do the update.

Now, it may be that none of these suggestions fix the problem with the updater not finding your AxiDraw. But they are good first steps before we get into more involved debugging.

*Brian

hb
    Participant

Brian,

Success!! Thank you so very much for your help! I used the link you provided and moved it into my C:\ drive and that has worked perfectly now. Again thank you both very much, I am grateful!

Hannah

EmbeddedMan
    Participant

Oh, that just made my day. I’m so glad it worked out for you. Thanks for letting us know.

*Brian

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.