Stroked Fonts in MS Word?

Home Evil Mad Scientist Forums AxiDraw Stroked Fonts in MS Word?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

Hi there!

New to Axi Draw here. Using my Axi Draw to print labels for my shop!

I have an Excel that I get from my till system, which I use as a source to a Mail Merge.

I then use Print to PDF to get something I can import into Inkscape, which I then page by page manually get AxiDraw to print.

However the Lucida Handwriting font is an outline font. The Hershey text conversion doesn’t work, losing some characters and issuing a warning about some ‘@’ symbol deprecated.

So I wanted to try and use a stroked font directly in Word.

Any idea how I can achieve what I need….or is there another mail merge approach I can use?

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

This approach is *extremely* cumbersome for a number of reasons (Excel to Word, a merge, to PDF, to Inkscape, then Hershey Text). The bugs are something that we could look at, depending on what their exact nature is.

Word doesn’t support stroke fonts, nor is there any good workflow for plotting directly from Word.

The software that you should use for this is our AxiDraw Merge application (as discussed in the AxiDraw user guide). Once you are set up with it, AxiDraw Merge can automatically (1) optionally populate a template with data sourced from a CSV spreadsheet file, (2) render the text into handwriting-like stroke-based fonts using our Hershey Advanced software, (3) optionally add intentional variations so that text does not (for example) lie upon straight lines, and (4) plot the document. It can also merge and plot subsequent pages upon a button press or after a time delay.

Frank
    Participant

@Windell Many thanks for the tips! I read the document and have now requested via the online form the download links for those packages. I think this will certainly help.

Regarding the bugs, I suppose they are artifacts of the Word to PDF conversion and subsequent import process. Should I encounter them outside of this context I will post again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.