trouble burning the bootloader to atmega 328

Home Evil Mad Scientist Forums Microcontrollers trouble burning the bootloader to atmega 328

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    hodx
    Participant

i have been searching the net and trying, i still can’t get the bootloader to go on the blank chip….I am usint the Diavolino as my ISP…i keep getting this for the last 2 chips i tried

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
             Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

hope somebody can help…i am pulling my hair out

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

Can you say what signature you *are* getting?

hodx
    Participant

doesn’t say anything….i am stumped

hodx
    Participant

use -F to override this check

how do i over ride the chip?

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

There is supposed to be a line above that one, saying what it actually read– the “expected signature” line always follows that if the value is wrong.  It should be something like “avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9514  .

You may need to just scroll up a line to see it.  

If you’re doing this from within the Arduino IDE, you may need to turn on verbose mode in the preferences.
    Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

You *do not* want to override the check.  This is a *symptom* of something else wrong, not the cause of the problem.

hodx
    Participant

there is no other line about it….I forgot to say instead of crystal and caps, i’m using a 16mhz resonator….but i also tried another chip using the build in 8mhz osc…..

hodx
    Participant

there is no other line…just what i posted

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

Do you have the verbose option turned on?

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

And, to be clear, you are *not* reporting nearly enough information here to figure out what the problem is.  I can give you a list of things to check (like, for example, that your target chip actually is an an ATmega328P), but until you can see the actual error, it’s pretty hard to guess what might be wrong.

hodx
    Participant

ok …i am using arduino IDE 0023 version….using Diavolino as ISP….wired the breadboard, just like on your tutorial or the one on the Arduino site….i put the sketch ArduinoISP on the Diavolino…i selected Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ATmega328…..then run Burn Bootloader with Arduino as ISP…what is the verbose option? 

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

Exactly what chip are you using?  Are you certain that it’s a ‘328P, not just a ‘328?

The verbose option, as I said, is in the Arduino preferences. 
    hodx
    Participant

i am using a atMega 328-PU

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

Yes, that would be the problem right there.  That’s actually a different chip, with a different signature, from the one supported by Arduino.

You can work around this by changing the expected signature in your avrdude.conf file, following the instructions from this thread:  http://www2.evilmadscientist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=4997
    hodx
    Participant

thanks for the help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.