Bulbdial – Was working fine – now has odd LED groupings

Home Evil Mad Scientist Forums Clock Kits Bulbdial – Was working fine – now has odd LED groupings

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

Received clock today and found the problem:  D12 had an apparent connection between the leads.  Replaced it, everything seems to be OK now.

myx_2000
    Participant

Wow. Thank you Windell. I received the clock today. Was this something I could see? I am perplexed how this would have happened after it was all put together. I promise, I really did look all over to find the issue. Hopefully this did not take you long to fix. 

So one LED was enough to goof all that up? So, the charlieplexing can be a blessing and a curse all at the same time. But none the less thank you. It is SO cool. 
    Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

Well, we knew from the set of LEDs that were apparently connected that there was a partial short between LED1 and LED2, or a defect at D21 or D12, the two LEDs between those lines.  When we received it, I checked those two LEDs.  D21 worked fine, but D12 did not, so I clipped one of its leads to see if that LED was the issue, or if it was external.  Turned out that even isolated, D12 would not light up, so it was apparently the culprit.  

I’m not sure what went wrong with it; it could have been stressed during lead-bending or soldering.  But, I’m glad that it’s working now. :)
    myx_2000
    Participant

Got it (mostly ;D) Thanks again. 

myx_2000
    Participant

Hi… It’s me again…
    Hey, I have had this on my right speaker in my living room since it returned. This morning I noticed that I had orange for a moment. Going into alignment mode I found that LEDs D46 and D64 are now out or barely lit (it seems to fluctuate). But this seems to be causing double lighting of other blue LEDs. It testing mode the problems only exist in the blue ring. Please advise. Thanks.

Windell Oskay
    Keymaster

So, you may have a similar problem at one of those two LEDs.  Those two lines are only involved in the blue, as you can see here:  http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2010/on-the-design-of-the-bulbdial-clock/

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.