Windell is the guest on the most recent episode of Embedded.fm, titled Please Don’t Light Yourself on Fire. This episode’s contest prize is a signed copy of The Annotated Build It Yourself Science Laboratory.
Barnes & Noble is putting on a Mini Maker Faire next weekend at stores across the country. As part of the event, Windell will be at the San Jose store on Friday, Nov. 6 at 1 pm with The Annotated Build-It-Yourself Science Laboratory.
Ken Shirriff has written an excellent exploration of the 741 op-amp, including decapping a metal can package AD741. There’s a very cool interactive viewer so that you can click on the components in the schematic or on the picture of the die to see what each one is and does.
…The 25pF capacitor in the 741 has a very small value but takes up a large fraction of the chip’s area. You can see the capacitor in the middle of the die photo; it is the largest structure on the chip. …
Our very own XL741 is referenced in the footnotes, too.
You’re invited to our annual open house!
When: Thursday, November 19, 5 pm − 9 pm
Where: Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
175 San Lazaro Ave, Suite 150
Sunnyvale, CA, 94086
- Video: How Moroccan Zellij tile mosaics are made.
- avrgirl-arduino: Upload code to Arduino boards with NodeJS.
- Plaid fruit leather.
- A maglev toy train – fine, fast, and floating
- MeowCAD: Open source, online EDA tool for designing circuit boards
- Doc Pop’s Glitch Socks.
- Glitch Architecture (via Rusty Blazenhoff)
- Glitch Furniture (via Doc Pop)
- Mechanical Hummingbird (via @Grathio) More info here.
- Photos from inside an abandoned Soviet Buran space shuttle hanger. [Translated link via Google.] More about Buran here.
- Radio astronomy and Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures album cover: Part 1 (the origin story) and Part 2 (the science story).
- EMV (“Chip and pin”) smart cards: Not as secure as one might hope.
- An Interview with Fran Blanche of Frantone Electronics.
- A new species of Galapagos Tortoise has been discovered.
- CatsISUOTTATFO: Videos of cats inadvertently swatting unknown objects towards themselves and then freaking out (Reddit).
- Masterlist: A curated gallery of McMaster-Carr products (Via Core77).
From the archives comes one of our favorite food projects: Halloween Cuisine: Sweet or Savory Specimen Jars.
What good is a specimen jar if you can’t serve it at dinner? The contents of the jars should be genuinely edible, made out of real food. Plastic snakes and spiders are right out.
Halloween is one of our favorite holidays, and our collection of Halloween projects continues to grow. Every fall we update it to include our latest projects for the season. In the list … we’ve organized dozens of our Halloween projects into categories: costumes, pumpkins, decor and food.
Head over to the Halloween Project Archives for the full list of projects.
For Lady Ada Lovelace Day this year, I want to celebrate the participation of so many unsung women in technical endeavors of all kinds.
Ada Lovelace Day is an international celebration of the achievements of women in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM).
I love that Lady Ada Day gives the opportunity to make women more visible. I am paying homage with some images from Maker Faires this year of girls and women of all ages participating in and helping to guide hands-on activities. Here’s to the many women who aren’t as celebrated but are still involved and making things better for all of us!