Gravitrack is available in two versions: A no-soldering battery-powered version (shown above), or a soldering-required solar version. We also still carry the original SolarBotics Marble Machines, in battery and solar flavors.
Seamus B. sent in this picture of building Interactive Game of Life kits with kids. After they finished he sent in the video below of it working. We always love to see progress photos, especially when kids are getting into electronics and soldering.
Thank you, Seamus, for sending these in!
I also thought you might enjoy seeing the design we were running today in the classroom…
Spencer Yonker sent in these skull paintings made by WaterColorBot in the classroom.
And we had a customer stop in the shop to show off his red velvet skull, with added flickering LED eyes.
Thanks to both of you for sharing your Halloween spirit with us! And Happy Halloween!
— お休みさん@あんたまにあ (@zFdqQWPoR2tYmF7) October 29, 2017
- The cutest little ultrasonic iris trash can that you’ll ever see
- Minute physics on polarized filters and quantum mechanics
- CableEndy Cable-Driven Parallel Robot. (Bonus with tennis ball.)
- Pedro Medeiros is creating Pixel Art to tutorials on Patreon
- How the Soviet Union Snooped Waters for Enemy Subs—Without Sonar
- Primitive for macOS: Recreate your photos with vector-based geometric primitives.
- An interstellar visitor to our solar system
- Bunnie Studios: Why I’m Using Bitmarks on my Products
Over on Instagram, Chris Hall demonstrates drawing on a lab coat with AxiDraw for his costume:
— David Braun (@DoItRealTime) October 4, 2017
— Chris Hall (@PatchyProjects) June 30, 2017
Chris Hall posted this piece using sound waves to create scenes.
Noah Norman has been posting geometric plotting videos.
Matthew Ragan has been taking advantage AxiDraw’s ability to draw on just about anything, and plotting over already printed materials. He also has published his tools on github for getting vectors out of TouchDesign. He describes it as:
A pipeline for handling the SOP to SVG pipeline. This is especially handy for using procedurally generated geometry for paths to be cut or plotted.
We’ve added a link to his repository on the AxiDraw documentation wiki. We love it when folks share their tools and would love to hear what tools and processes people are using or creating for working with our plotters.
For Lady Ada Day, we like to highlight some of the women we know who are doing amazing work in that group of fields bundled into the term STEAM. Here are a few:
- Leah Buechley, making algorithmic art
- Katherine Scott, working with Planet Labs and the Open Hardware Summit
- Charlene McBride, making art and working at Amazon
- Vanessa Julia Carpenter, designing for meaningfulness
- Anouk Wipprecht, rethinking fashion
- Sophi Kravitz, making art and working with Hackaday
- AnnMarie Thomas, bringing together engineering, education and play
Please join us today in celebrating the women in your lives who are building the world into something better, whether through science, technology, engineering, art or mathematics.
Murray C. wrote in to share about using our CNC workstation cart plans to build his own. He added a keyboard tray in place of one of the drawers. Thanks for sharing your photo, Murray, it looks great!
You’re invited to our open house and shopwarming!
When: Saturday, October 7, 4 pm to 8 pm
Where: Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
1285 Forgewood Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Our annual open house is also a shopwarming party this year! You can tour our new location, see the MOnSter 6502 in action, check out an AxiDraw demonstration, maybe meet Zener the cat (she’s not fond of parties), do some shopping if the mood strikes, and share in food and conversation.
We’re also having a sale, so you can celebrate with us whether or not you can make it to the event! During our sale this week (October 2-7), use checkout coupon code CELEBRATE to save 10% sitewide at our store.
With Halloween approaching, it’s a great time to stock up on Snap-O-Lantern kits, Larson Scanner kits for your Cylon (or Kraftwerk) costume, and Flickery Flame kits to put in your Jack-O-Lanterns. Or maybe you just need some candle flicker LEDs for that finishing touch on your costumes and props.
AxiDraw V3, our beloved pen plotter is also currently shipping from stock and 10% off (with that coupon code) during the sale.